Friday, June 27, 2008

Pinky's

Pinky's is in downtown Chicago in the downstairs atrium of the Thompson Center or State of IL Building if you're old school. With so many choices down there I can see how you may never make it here if you are only an occasional visitor. Be a shame to miss this burger though.


I think back to my younger days (as I am 30 now), and my mom would ask me how I knew I did not like something unless I had tried it. Now there are a few foods that even now I will not try (mostly raw or very spicy) that I don't need to try to find out I don't like them. But the Gyro Burger shouldn't have been in that category.


I can't believe it took this long to try this.

Some background on Pinky's, the regular cheese burger is bad. Not seasoned well, frozen thin patty and messy. In fact all the food is big and messy.



See. I was splitting this with my friend Chuck so we went for the 1/2 pound Double Gyros Cheeseburger. I don't recommend going at it alone.





This was a freakin amazing looking burger. Sheer size and mess was promising.

So we have top bun, Tzatziki (cucumber) sauce, grilled onion, gyro meat, cheese, burger, cheese, burger, lettuce, catsup, mustard, and bottom bun.

Fantastic. Really I am ashamed to that it took me 30 years to try this. I have been to many a small Gyro place that had bad burgers and never thought to try or ask for a gyro burger. I mean it's right there. Unlike bacon that they may not serve, the gyro meat is a readily available topping that really adds something to the burger.

Especially the bad burger. It does not matter that the patty isn't the greatest. In fact it may help. Follow me here. The thin fried patty had little give. Well neither does gyro meat. The whole thing just melts in your mouth. You do have to down this one quickly because of the mess. The bun is not up for the job. But it is the correct bun for fast melt in your mouth burger. Another reason not to go about the 1/2 pound double burger by yourself, it may take too long.

Fries. Pretty good. Fresh and soft like Al's Italian Beef. They all seem to be well done but not hard.

The only issue / oddity is no salt on them. That's a bit of a pain when you want to snack on the way back to the office.

The Gyro Burger itself is a destination burger. Regardless of where you get it. You should try one in your lifetime. Go to Pinky's for the Gyro Cheese Burger if you are in the Thompson Center for business or the area in general. Honestly take a pass on the regular cheeseburger and go for this one. If you like gyro and burgers it's a natural fit. I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out.

Pinky's

100 W. Randolph

312-372-4472

No comments: