Saturday, May 10, 2008

Big Boy

Yea you read that right. Big Boy.






So why with limited time in Ohio, limited calories, and so many other options, would I seemingly waste my time (and yours) with Big Boy. Well a few reasons. First, I did not get to the hotel until near midnight. I had all the good intentions to get up early and head into Cincy to check out a great burger joint. But I was tired and slept in. Second, while I wanted to go into Cincy, I had no idea of where to go. Now the Cincinnati Burger Guys have a great guide on what is good. Check out their blog (link on right). But I had to be in Oxford to shoot (photos not guns) at noon for Miami's grad. So finding a burger at 9:30am wasn't going too well. Third, look a the photo. You see that the Holiday Inn sign. Well that's all the traveling I had to do. Fourth, curiosity. When was the last time you had Big Boy? I mean how bad can it be, the Big Boy is holding a burger. And last, I got sentimental thinking about the first I was in a Big Boy. But more on that later.


So I went in not expecting much, and wasn't shocked when I didn't get much. My server was a nice enough kid. I looked over the menu and went for the regular Big Boy. I did pass on the 1/2 pounder and one on a rye bun with Swiss. So I can't say they don't have more to offer. I did get my choice of two sides, and went with O-rings and mac & cheese. There is really nothing to comment on about the wait except that it's very clean.




The burger and sides arrived.

Big mistake on the O-rings. Talk about no taste. Most fried food is at least oily and tastes like it's fattening. These did not. No taste whatsoever. The mac & cheese, though, was decent. On to the burger. Poor little thing. I've had fast food prepared with more love. Happy you aren't if your job is assembling these. Also I suspect the same bun is used regardless of patty size.






So it basically sucked as burgers go. This burger will in fact disappoint anyone over the age of 10 and most over 80. It's something of a bootleg Big Mac with the whole third bun thing. I've never met I third bun I liked. I don't know why I expected better. Well maybe because my first Big Boy experience was with my Grandparents when I was 9 or 10. I remember it rocked, but it had to be the company not the food.






So in it's own way Big Boy is a destination. Go there if you are 6-10 years old. If your child does not have a car, take them. Do not order the regular Big Boy, it's not (and maybe never was) as good as you remember. Get an adult burger. Order something involving bacon, mushrooms, even rye, but no third bun. You will get decent food in a clean place, and they may get a good memory.











No comments: