Sunday, May 11, 2008

Johnny Buccelli's

Well we have reached the final stop on my Ohio tour.
I was driving back to Columbus from Oxford and was exhausted. The drive was rather boring and rainy. I was looking forward to just settling in for a nice beer with my burger. After reading so much about the German influence around Columbus, I was expecting something completely different from what I got. Johnny B's is a family joint in a strip mall not a cozy bar as I'd hoped. Somehow I did not compute the photo on their site.



As I got out of my car I noticed there were no neon beer signs. No sign is usually no good. The service was a bit lacking but maybe it's because I was an outsider and had no idea what to expect. I placed my order again for a burger I had already chosen. The Uncle Vito's Buccelli Burger. I decided on a strawberry lemonade as my non beer liquid. Again service, the lemonade took forever, but was quite tasty. Very sweet.




There was a layer of sugar at the bottom just daring me. Another boring place to wait for a meal alone. But I did pick up this newsletter "Coffee News" and read about a legally blind husband and wife sailing around the world. That puts life in perspective.

So finally my burger is called up. My burger, not my name as I was told.






This was a nice looking burger from overhead. Nice hearty pretzel bun. Now Johnny B's was chosen for their unique blend of beef and Italian sausage in their patty. When I reviewed the menu I settled on the Vito because of the blue cheese addition and my general distaste for red peppers. While waiting for the burger, I was quietly hoping it would not be drowning in crumbled blue cheese.





I should really watch what I wish for. This was the pathetic showing of blue cheese, and it's dressing at that.








This patty was everything it should have been. Juicy, good blend of beef and sausage. The sausage was neither overpowering nor an afterthought. They worked together in a wonderful balance. Aside from the lack of blue cheese, the other toppings of fried onions and sauteed mushrooms were plentiful. The pretzel bun gave the perfect sweetness to the whole thing. The fries were decent but O-rings are probably better based on the ones on the burger. This was another burger that I was happily eating when it hit me that something felt wrong... yea, the sweet ass lemonade with the Italian sausage - beef patty. If ever I burger demanded beer, it was this one. I don't know why every bar in America does not have a variation of this burger. The Italian sausage makes you thirsty and a nice lager would quench quite nicely. Old Bag O' Nails, Dub Pub, I haven't been to your establishments, but I think I'm talking to you. CBCB this is the burger for you (just don't jack up the price). Johnny B's get a liquor license.


I had to stop halfway through and take it to the airport with me to test the beer theory. While the bar there was closing, when I got it home some 3 hours later it was better with a nice cold beer.


Johnny's B's is so definitely a destination burger. If you like burgers and like sausage on your pizza you can't miss this place. Maybe it would work with Coke OK. But if I were you, I'd get a 6 pack of my favorite beer. Something hearty and hoppy not Light, or Lite. Then go order your burger and go home or to a buddy's place, whichever is closer. Oh, and if you're getting the Vito, ask for extra blue cheese.





I went to the Hamilton Rd one by the airport.

http://www.johnnybuccellis.com/


Maybe we will hit Indiana before we go home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.