Saturday, May 10, 2008

Cold Beer & Cheeseburgers

Mecca. Nirvana. Xanadu. I could live here. I wish there was one within a 3 hour drive of home.

X

Nope. No photo. You don't need to look for this place.


Those are the things I thout I'd be saying as I left CBCB. Instead, I was calling the Miller High Life hotline so they could come rescue their beer. The good people of Dayton know what's up. There were like 6 people there... on a Saturday night... with playoff basketball on... with the Cavs playing. I should have figured it out right there. But when you Google cheeseburgers & Dayton, CBCB's many locations pop up. So to set the scene, I had driven there after a long day of shooting (p's not g's) and had saved up my hunger since the Big Boy brunch. This was the burger dining experience I was looking forward to the most. Meeting other like minded people looking to enjoy a cheeseburger & a cold beer. Perhaps I built it up too much. Ok. I went in and sat at the bar. Got my menu and decided to learn from my Big Boy mishap and get the best burger for my taste. The Bomb. 1/3 pounder with bacon, cheddar and jack cheeses and BBQ sauce.




This barely qualifies as the burger described.









Barely two full strips of bacon. And pathetically thin bacon at that. This is diner bacon that is a ripoff if it costs more than $.50. Then look at the 2 lousy onion rings. While the O-rings are not a listed topping, either do it or don't. 2 O-rings are just insulting to my tastebuds, not some bonus topping. The BBQ sauce was regular KC Masterpiece out the bottle. This didn't bother me that much and the cheese worked well. The patty initially didn't offend me. Above average frozen with no seasoning. The cooking method helped it though. Charbroiling gave this patty its flavor.




Check out the chunky quality of recently defrosted meat.



You all have had this patty. This is the burger you cook at BBQs in your mid 20s. It's one of Kirkland's finest. Not the cheapest frozen 1/4 pounders, and not the nice 1/2 pounders you can really season. But by no means worth the $6.30 they are charging. My other issues, are that I think the BBQ burger is the best possible combination of frozen patty and cooking method. And I don't see a burger on the menu that sounds like it would work. Maybe if you build your own, but that's not $.95 worth of bacon. Really for Dayton, it's a bit pricey for what you get. Which is why on a Saturday night, the people of Dayton were somewhere else watching the game. Wish they'd called me.


Sadly this is not a destination buger. The beer is not cheap enough to justify the price for the quality or quantity of food. I just don't see a reason to go there. And you are talking to someone who can justify going back to Big Boy!




No comments: