Thursday, May 29, 2008

Culver's

Wow. This was one bad burger. Not inedible, but bad none the less.

I have been to many a Culver's in my life. They're something of a treat because they're located outside of the city proper in the burbs. This one was in Tinley Park. I decided to put my current experience to work and research the menu before going as to make a well informed burger decision. The standard ButterBurger is a good double cheeseburger. There is nothing wrong with this, only that I like bacon and cheddar better. So I thought about the Cheddar ButterBurger. This however is too heavy as it does not come with toppings. My solution was to get the Cheddar burger with the standard toppings.

Maybe I confused them.

It looked great and I even upgraded to onion rings, which was the best part of the meal aside from the diet coke. Take note of the hyper orange cheese.



I took it out of the basket for a better view. Again yummy O-rings.

So soon after the first bite I thought something was a bit off about this burger. But I figured my taste buds were used to a higher quality meal lately and were just confused.


Notice the extreme fried crispy edge on the top.


And how it's not on the bottom.

After awhile I figured out I was not confused. This was not just an average burger lacking taste. I first suspected the lettuce was bad, so I removed it. But that was not it. I tried a bit of the meat by itself. While it lacked a great taste, it was not bad. I tried to open it to look for the missing bacon, and found the issue.

The cheese is working like glue. There was no separating the cheese from bun or meat. Something was up with this cheese. It's gluelike quality and taste was the downfall of this burger.

I don't fault all other Culver ButterBurgers though, as this was the first bad one that I have ever had. To this location's detriment, they weren't even that crowded. So I don't know what went wrong. But the fact that something did go wrong leads me to not to recommend them as a destination burger. Right now they are neutral. Neither to be sought out nor avoided. Being a chain you expect some inconsistency, but not bad. I have had dry Quarter Pounders, but not bad. Although I did not try to return my bad burger, I am sure they would have replaced if had I tried. If you go, get the onion rings and do not get inventive with the menu.

http://www.culvers.com/

No comments: