Saturday, May 31, 2008

Veggie Version 1

Sometimes you need a break.



After so many burgers this month I needed a break. Calorie wise and financially. Many have wondered how a carnivore such as myself could ever consume a veggie burger. Well they are healthier than beef and can be consumed on a daily basis with little guilt or gut. So I bring you a very basic Veggie Burger recipe after this next paragraph of commentary.



The cooking of a veggie burger will depend on your reason for eating it. If you want fast and healthy, then microwave it. If you want more taste and have time, then fry it. If you really want taste and aren't a vegetarian, then fry it in bacon grease. Quite good. Don't judge until you've tried it. The next most important thing is cheese. Again if you are trying to be healthy, add some nonfat, low fat plastic cheese-like substance. I prefer a good cheese. Last is bun. Veggie burgers need either whole wheat or an on sale white one. They are not very big so a $1 pack of buns will not crumble. Also for this recipe I have selected the Boca Burger Grillers. More on how to choose a veggie burger later. So onto my Veggie Burger V1.




First of all veggie burgers are not very attractive. Perfectly round brown and not really seasoned.

I fried this one in sesame oil and then toasted the bun while it was finishing cooking. I chose Havarti as my cheese for tonight night.

Toasted bun hardly worth the effort but is a nice touch.

Again no matter how inexpensive the bun, it will hold up to a veggie burger. Even with catsup & mayo on the bottom bun.

Bun, Havarti, veggie burger, catsup, mayo, bun.

The texture of the veggie burger will take some getting used to. It does not fight you when you bite it. It will just give in and mush...which is why frying is a preferred cooking method. As far as taste, the Griller will taste like whatever seasoning is used. This one was good and satisfying for a quick dinner.

If you have never had a veggie burger, you should try one. I would not pay for one in a restaurant for my first one. Rather start by finding a friend that eats them and he next time they offer, say OK I'll try it. Just make sure it's fried and has lots of (real) cheese.

No comments: