Tuesday, May 20, 2008

English

Well this not where I planned on the first Chicago cheeseburger being eaten. But I found myself there and the sliders were just staring at me from the menu. English is a few blocks from work and it looked cool although a bit trendy (stuffy & annoying) from the outside.
My friend and former manager Mat and I were meeting for food and drink and I figured with great company, the crowd would irritate us less.


I had not planned on the sliders. Originally I was looking at the fish and chips. But something, perhaps the readily available camera, got me to order sliders. I went with the Angus, turkey mushroom, and sirloin. Yes I can count. One is Mat's.



First of all I am no longer calling these sliders. Sliders are something very different and only come from White Castle. These are Little Gourmet Burgers. So these LGBs were pretty good.






The Angus had burger good flavor. I wish there had been a cheese option. But there was a simplistic integrity about it. There were no other toppings to hide behind.




The turkey mushroom was amazing. The creamy mushroom goat cheese paste on top of it needs to be bottled. Many sandwiches not just burgers could benefit form that addition.

The sirloin was good but a bit much black pepper for my taste. Mat liked his just fine. I also would consider disqualifying the sirloin because it's not a burger. It's a mini steak sandwich and for $3.50 vs $2 for the others, not worth it for simple meat on bun.



And look at those cute little buns with their paninni marks and grape tomatoes. Pretty good attention to detail here.


So understand that LGBs are bar food and they are about being cute and convenient. The taste is a bonus and there are no points to lose for execution. These are not destination burgers. Again one of them not really a burger. They also have a pulled pork that sounds good while failing to be a burger. If you are there and curious, try them. They are not bad, and I thought the turkey was very good. I will go back for one in a regular size, and it may be a destination burger.

English
444 N LaSalle St
Chicago, IL 60610
(312) 222-6200

http://www.englishchicago.com/

Jak's Tap up next.

No comments: