Sunday, May 4, 2008

Yukon Inn





So my trip through the UP continues with a drive to The Yukon Inn. This place is off of M123 In Paradise, MI. And it is right on the corner of where M123 turns from north to west. I know this because I sailed right past it. And I was looking for it. However if you are in familiar with the area, then you can't miss it. Upon pulling up I quickly realized this would be an experience...I was not wrong. The Yukon Inn has no windows and that will make you think twice being a single black female. Or any single female for that matter. But it was daylight and I like to think people like me until proven wrong. So I ventured in...the inn.


You will now have to forgive the lack of pictures, but there was just no freakin way. There are just some places you don't whip out a camera until you know folks and this was one. I went right up to the bar and sat down, mind you with no bartender in sight. I surveyed the menu and saw my reason for being there. The Yukon Burger. I read the rest, cheeseburger this, mushroom that. But I was there for the Yukon Burger and it was so worth it. The nervousness subsided and I ordered my Yukon Burger and 1919 root beer. I was just chilling there when two guys came in, and sat next to me. This 50-60ish guy wearing a Detroit Lions cap made my day. Dennis and I chatted about the NFL draft our respective teams. Bears, duh. And our mutual hatred of the Packers. Finally my burger arrived.



Oh yea, that's Canadian Bacon.





And a layer of regular bacon under American and Swiss cheese.



My first reaction was that this was not the mammoth burger I was expecting. Especially for $6 with no fries. It was served just how you see it with a tray of condiments (mustard, chopped raw onion, relish, and pickle slices). It needed nothing. I did enjoy a few pickle slices just to take a break from downing this burger. I wanted to savor it, but it was too perfect. I only found one review of this burger, but it was described as cooked to perfection and that was not a lie. Though this is a 1/3 pounder at best, everything is proportional. The meat is not really seasoned but it did not need to be with all that saturated fat on top of it. The patty was juicy and hot as was everything else. Another well executed burger. The cheese, both slices, was melted and the bacon was fresh and crisp. I was amazed how well it worked. In college we used to have the cafeteria grill guys add a piece of ham to our cheeseburgers, but it rarely worked out. The timing has to be right to get good grilled ham that stays hot. The Canadian bacon fit the burger perfectly, the cheese fit perfectly. Take a moment to scroll back up and notice how even the bacon (under the cheese) is not falling off. And the garden variety bun worked because it was not about the bun. You shouldn't even to notice the bun. This burger is about two flavors of cheese, and two cuts of pork on top of a competent beef patty. Eating this burger was a treat of flavor.



My conclusion is that this is a destination burger. I am now hunting for this burger's Chicago cousin. It's expensive but you have to get over that. The beer is cheap. Well at least by Chicago standards. So if you find yourself within 2 maybe 3 hours of the Yukon Inn, go there. Get the Yukon Burger. Leave. Take a walk. Go look at some nature or something. Then go back for a second burger. Seriously, Mackinaw, Cheboygan, even Traverse City, go check it out. Dennis mentioned that 300 or so types/species of birds fly through twice a year. So, if you are into bird watching and burgers, go. The Yukon Burger will not disappoint.

Yukon Inn
8347 N M 123
Paradise, MI 49768
(906) 492-3264


Next weekend I am in Ohio. Then finally the homefront.

2 comments:

anticlimatic said...

Just got back from a trip to the Yukon Inn myself, though I'm now kicking myself for not getting the burger...I have a burger destination for you similar to the Yukon if you happen to be back in the UP. North of Marquette is a dead-end town called Big Bay with a bar called "The Lumberjack Tavern," which features "The Lumberjack Burger" and it's the best burger I've ever had.

Anonymous said...

OMG! Gabriel is very right... Big Bay is great, so is the Lumberjack... My friends have a cabin just a few houses behind, and we spend a lot of time there... The people and the food are to be remembered...